Tuesday, June 28, 2011

School Holiday sewing

Now the children are teenagers, my holiday responsibilities have changed.  I am required to make decisions about whether proposed social escapades are OK, ensure the cupboard is full of wheat bix, biscuits and treats as well as litres and litres of milk and to intervene when my teenage son starts looking a bit glazed over and unplug him from whichever device he is attached to and send him on a dog walk or to shoot some hoops.  The 'nerve centre' moves from the kitchen to my office/sewing room, the heater is on and the sewing cabinet is open.... woooppee.

First project is another Simplicity 9825 skirt. This time in yet another Tessuti Japanese cotton.






This fabric is so beautiful, it is hard to show the gold thread in a photograph although I think this one gives you the idea.


I am quite happy with the result although before I make this skirt again, I am going to alter the pattern a bit.  I always have to add a false hem because I forget to cut it longer and I need to make the yoke a little larger as it is quite snug.  I am also going to move the zipper to the side.  I plan to do all this in a toille and then use the calico as a pattern because I think when I have made these improvements, this could be a core pattern in my wardrobe.  I like that the skirt is between A line and straight and I like the yoke rather than a waistband.  The next fabric to make it up in is a silk twill in gorgeous colours... no prizes for guessing where I bought it!



3 comments:

  1. Love your skirt. The Japanese cottons are all so tempting, but I'll have to show you some cheaper places to buy good fabric. I have a stray 80cms of your new fabric left over from a long dress I made for Rachel. Not sure what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skirt! I also love how you coordinate with the jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulously stylish shirt! I've been eyeing off the red version of that fabric for months! SO stunning.

    ReplyDelete